Tags: attorney, bri, brmy, deduction, expect, fiancee, foreign, georgia, issued, k-1, law, lawyer, legal, live, philippines, tax, visa

Support for foreign fiancee as tax deduction

On Lawyer & Legal » Tax Law

2,352 words with 3 Comments; publish: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 13:05:00 GMT; (80062.50, « »)

Thank you.

I live in Georgia.

I have a fiancee in the Philippines, and we expect a K-1 Visa to be issued before the end of this year.

My question: Since March of this year, I have been sending my fiancee money to her support. Support for everything except housing. Is this tax deductable?

Also, are any of the fees involved with filing for a visa deductable, i.e., application fees, foreign passport cost, medical exam, petition fees?

And finally, I had to travel to the Philipines to prove to the INS that I have met my fiancee in person. Travel deductions?


All Comments

Leave a comment...

    • Bad news: none of these expenses are deductible. In addition to providing more than half the support for a dependent, to qualify as a dependent a person must To meet the citizen or resident test, a person must be a U.S. citizen or resident, or a resident of Canada or Mexico, for some part of the calendar year in which your tax year begins. Also the person must be related to you or live in your household.

      As for the travel expenses, with few exceptions, which don't apply, travel is deductible only if it is for business. Yours was not.

      #1; Thu, 13 Dec 2001 20:39:00 GMT
    • since I am not an attorney...i share ideas.....I'm a freelance professional speaker and corporate trainer living in China.

      it is easy enough to create significant legitimate tax deductions by being self employed or exploring business possibilities.....

      ...next time you want to travel such as to the phillipines, don't you want to do some research there on finding cute little knick knack products to export? Make appointments and visit local businesses....

      ...you might contact the US Embassy Foreign Commercial Service there to let them you're interested in developing small business or seeking part time English teaching employment there since you have family/fiancee there....

      These are simple strategies which typically make all or part of your trip for business purposes and therefore tax deductible...

      ...the simplest...sign up as a distributor for any major company such as Avon, Amway, Mary Kay, FreeLife....and go there to try to find distributors or sell some products.....I am NOT by the way associated with any of these or similar companies so don't misunderstand me....

      Good luck, chinamario

      #2; Mon, 17 Dec 2001 22:28:00 GMT
    • Aw, shucks.

      Thank you for your timely response, loku.

      #3; Fri, 14 Dec 2001 06:20:00 GMT