Tags: attorney, casino, filing, gambling, ilbri, illinois, indiana, jackpot, law, lawyer, legal, resident, state, tax, won

Gambling in another state

On Lawyer & Legal » Tax Law

599 words with 0 Comments; publish: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 12:43:00 GMT; (80046.88, « »)

The state is: IL

I'm a resident of Illinois and won a ~$4600 jackpot last year at a casino in Indiana. I'm filing my state tax returns this year. Indiana withheld $160 for state taxes. My Indiana return gave me a $4 refund. Now I'm filing my Illinois taxes on Illinois Free Webfile and it's saying my taxable income is my wages + the $4,600 I won. Is this correct? They're taxing me for something that Indiana already taxed me for. Illinois had nothing to do with me winning that $4600. Not sure if it's important but I declared $4,600 in losses on my federal return as well.

All Comments

Leave a comment...